Taken from the article “Are You in an Unhappy Relationship? Part 2 – The truth about better late than never…“ by Claire Arene, MSW, LCSW, here are some red flags that your relationship may be approaching serious damage:
• The only conversation you and your spouse have with each other is about everything that is wrong with your relationship.
• You have a long list in your head of all the things your spouse has done to offend you, and you literally go through that list everyday.
• You cannot remember the last time you where intimate with each other – or when you are, it is not satisfying, and on some occasions even the intimate moments end with an argument.
• You frequently wonder whether you would be happier with someone else. You have sometimes mulled over the idea of calling an old flame, or flirting with someone you think might be interested in you.
• You spend a great deal of time expressing how dissatisfied you feel in your relationship to close friends, or family. Everyone knows you are unhappy.
• You and your spouse are more like roommates, than a romantic couple. You have started to live different lives, and form separate interests; you are no longer partners.
• You are constantly involved in power struggles; it has become more important to be right than to work on healing and recreating friendship between you and your spouse.
(Click here to read the full article.)